20070910

Patient and Softly

For Monday, September 10, 2007
Proverbs 25:15

With patience a ruler may be persuaded,
and a soft tongue will break a bone.

Water, with patience, will quietly break a rock. A wise person, with patience, speaking softly can win over the minds of others and thus accomplish his will. How does he accomplish this?

As a patient man, he takes the time to observe and to listen. He takes the time to understand the person he persuades. We may waste many words arguing our point not having realized that the argument we are making has no relevance to the hearer. We also, in our haste, unknowingly work against ourselves, because we are actually offending our hearer.

The patient man also understands the power of the soft tongue. Words spoken softly may take longer to achieve their affect, but they have the advantage of softening the resolve of the hearer. If you speak to me loudly or harshly, you cause me to raise my defenses against you. Even if what you say is right, I want you to be wrong. But if you speak to me softly, I will give you a hearing, and though I reject your counsel then, I am inclined to mull over what you have said and to be open when you patiently choose the time to speak to me again.

Patience and a soft tongue make a powerful combination. Think about this the next time you want to "make your point" by fussing at whomever you are frustrated with. It is not the intensity of your emotion that will win over, but rather the patient, soft word spoken with wisdom and in love.