20071016

Lion in the Streets

For Wednesday, October 16, 2007
Proverbs 26:13

The sluggard says, "There is a lion in the road!
There is a lion in the streets!"

And so he stays home instead of going to work. And so the excuses never end.

"The weather looks bad; I might catch cold."
"I'm not feeling well; I should save my energy."
"The traffic is too bad to go out in."
"I might miss a phone call for a better job."
"I think there is a terrorist alert."

And the number one remark: "I'll start tomorrow."

The difference between the good worker and the sluggard has nothing to do with circumstances and everything to do with attitude. The good worker will overcome obstacles to get to work; the sluggard will use any excuse for an obstacle. The good worker applies himself to whatever is the task; the sluggard is always looking for the "right fit." The good worker makes the most of his circumstances; the sluggard is always complaining of bad luck. The good worker works his way up to better positions; the sluggard seems to always have supervisors who show favoritism to other workers. The good worker is thankful for the work he has; the sluggard is never thankful. The good worker takes pride in the work he does; the sluggard takes pride only in getting paid for little work.

In truth, the "lion in the streets" is very real for the sluggard. The "lion" is a job.